Tree Pest Control Services in Vancouver, WA
Frontier Tree provides tree pest control services. Pest control is important because insects decimate tree foliage or roots and feed between the bark and wood. This damages wood and vessels that carry water and sugars around the tree.
Insect treatment expertise wards off insect attacks and keeps your trees strong and thriving for years to come. Frontier Tree’s experience gives us an advantage when it comes to pest control. First, we must identify the insects damaging your trees. Then, based on our findings, we develop a comprehensive treatment to address the problem.
Timing of Tree Pest Control
We know that it’s important to coordinate treatment depending upon the insect’s life cycles. For example, soil drenching to treat a tree for bronze birch borer should only be undertaken in May and early June when larvae hatch.
Frontier’s tree pest control services take care of some of the most common insects found in your yard, including the following:
- Elm Leaf Beetle – These pests can decimate elm tree leaves, affecting most elm species. Insecticidal sprays can be used for control.
- Web Worm and Tent Caterpillars – These caterpillars create tents or webs in trees such as fruit trees, cottonwoods, ash and aspen. They feed on foliage. They can be treated by pruning out the infected area or with chemical applications.
- Bronze Birch Borer – These beetle larvae feed on white-barked birch trees. Treat by soil drench in late spring. For more information read our blog.
- Aphids – These annoying pests have sucking mouthparts and like to feed on new, nutrient-rich foliage. You can see the damage they cause evidenced by half-eaten leaves, and you can see their usually green, round bodies, clustered along twigs.
- Scale – Scale feeds on sap and can penetrate wood to suck out the sap. This can cause wilting of leaves and twigs and yellowing of leaves, which can stunt a plant’s growth and potentially kill it. They can affect citrus trees.
Common Indicators of Pest Problems
Aphids and Scale both produce a substance called ‘honeydew.’ This substance attracts ants. If you see a line of ants trailing up and down your tree, you probably have one of these pests. Honeydew also encourages the growth of Sooty Mold when it covers leaves and stems. Sooty mold can disfigure trees with an ugly, black growth on its leaves.
As part of our tree pest control services, Frontier Tree helps you to identify and treat these pests. Treatment for ants or sooty mold will not work in these circumstances until the originators (aphids or scale) of the honeydew that is attracting the ants and mold are eradicated.
No matter your pest or insect problem, Frontier Tree Service is here to help.
*Frontier Tree Service, formerly known as Sunshine Tree Service, has been serving Vancouver, Portland, and Clark County since 1980. In 2010 Sunshine Tree Service became a part of the Frontier Landscaping Team. In addition to tree care, Frontier proudly offers full-service landscaping and maintenance. We are fully licensed, bonded, and insured.